I typically rail on bad curtain placement, I know it. I'm a stickler for the correct form, high and wide, in my opinion. And, yet, in my own home I had a serious curtain fail:
See those? They are 84" West Elm Sheer Linen panels, in Flax, hung on a window that clearly needed 96" panels. My excuse? I had them on hand when we moved in and was not at all sure what to put there otherwise. I did not want to lose any of the light from the window. And, again, I had them on hand. So, I mounted the bracket as low as possible, and I used rings to get me a tad more length. And, lastly, I put some chairs in front of them.
But still, from some angles you could tell that I was faking it. Big time.
Well, I finally made good on my own prime directive and orderd some 96" panels. These:
And I moved the rods out and up. For up, I matched the position of the dining room curtains. Anything higher looked odd since there is not that much space above the window header before you hit the crown molding.
In the dining room I was limited on my width by some pipes that go up next to the window on the far right. I basically went as wide as that "element" would allow and then matched that for the others.
For the living room, I had more leeway, so I went 3.5" out from the far edges of the header molding.
I also have to hem them. For now they are just pinned, but I think it looks better already. Bigger, wider, and the texture in the curtains is a nice addition. You may remember my goal of a year or so ago was to add texture. I think I have done a pretty good job.
*Forgive me for the unplanned long absence. I promise to try to be a more reliable friend.