As I said on Facebook, I am basically going for mother of the year here. I put actual holes in a perfectly good ceiling. Actual holes. Oh, and lots of them since we had a little trouble finding a joist*. But, man-oh-man, are the results worth it.
*Okay, back to the joist story. I Googled the heck out of this install, and, basically, everyone just says, "find a joist." Yeah, sure. Easy as pie. Some folks talk about stud finders, or knocking, or pulling up floorboards. It's all just not really that scientific. So, what we did was multi-step. We:
- used a stud finder and marked where it said the joist was
- used the standard builders rule of '16" on center' to see if the marks we made jibed with that (did...vaguely)
- used stud finder some more
- argued about whether our joists went side to side in the house (standard and consistent with the direction of our floorboards-running length of house/opposite way of joists) or the wrong way because it's an old-ass house
- finally drilled some very small pilot holes in the ceiling around the marks we'd made in the stud-finding stage
- used a piece of thin wire to explore those pilot holes (we seem to have 2 ceilings up there. likely a new one was hung during renovations, on top of the old one, so the joist is about 3" up there- longer than our drill bit)
- went to the hardware store for longer screws
- thought we found a joist an installed one of the hooks - and decided it was not in a joist after all
- went up to the attic and looked to see if we could find the joists there as a guide for direction/spacing (they did run side to side but were 21" on center)
- went back down and measure 21" increments from wall
- stuck the wire up those pilot holes
- installed the hook there and immediately felt the difference in the pull on the screw- viola!